Tractor-trailers, also known as big rigs, 18-wheelers, and semi-trucks, are a constant presence on the Garden State’s highways. While they are vital to our state’s economy, they are also a great danger to smaller vehicles due to their size and weight. When they crash into passenger cars, the victims often have many questions. Our NJ truck accident lawyers at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., have put together answers below.

Keep in mind that you should always speak to a lawyer directly about your own situation, and this is not legal advice – but we hope it helps!

Q: What should I do if I’ve been involved in a trucking accident in New Jersey?

A: You should allow yourself to be taken to the emergency room by a paramedic even if you think you are alright or unhurt. Some serious medical problems can take weeks or even months to appear following an accident. You should also contact a Princeton truck accident attorney right away.

Q: What if I can’t afford an attorney?

A: Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., offers free, no-obligation legal consultations on any personal injury case. If we take your case, we’ll work on a contingent basis. Contingent fees are a preset amount of a successfully settled case. If we don’t win, you don’t pay us these fees. There are never any hidden charges from us and we always factor our fees into any amount that we agree to settle on or win in court.

Q: What kind of medical treatment should I receive?

A: In many cities, emergency rooms have specialized trauma teams who handle vehicle collisions. These teams will usually assess you medically, take x-rays, and treat you if necessary. You should follow up your emergency-room visit with a visit to your primary care doctor. Never leave any detail or any minor pain or symptom out of your discussion with your doctor. A seemingly small injury can turn into something very serious, including full-body paralysis, if left untreated.

Q: How can I protect my rights?

A: You should never sign any paperwork, admit any guilt, or agree to any settlement before speaking with a lawyer at our firm for free.

If possible you may want to take pictures of the scene of the accident, including all vehicles involved, their license plates, the road and weather conditions, and as many different angles as you can. You should also have the police make a report and investigation. You should get the information of any driver involved, including his insurance carrier, policy numbers, truck license plate numbers and states, the commercial driver’s license.

Q: My insurance company says it won’t cover my vehicle; what should I do?

A: If you have been involved in an accident in NJ and are having problems with your insurance provider, call us. Make sure you have the name and phone number of anyone you speak to at any insurance provider. You should also ask them to put anything they tell you into writing. Many times, adjusters will tell people they aren’t covered but will back off of putting it in writing.

Q: What if I was hit by a delivery truck?

A: If you have been involved in an accident with a garbage truck, FedEx truck, UPS truck, or other government vehicle in NJ, please contact a lawyer at Lependorf & Silverstein, P.C., by calling (609) 240-0040 to set up a free consultation. There are special deadlines and paperwork that must be completed before you can even file a personal injury claim, so don’t delay!

The firm’s principals, Gabriel R. Lependorf and David E. Silverstein, have each been representing injured victims in the State of New Jersey for over thirty years.

Call Our Office At (609) 240-0040 Today for Help